Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I Need to Read More PJ O'Rourke...

...and so do you. This is about the best thing I've read about the 2006 midterm elections.

---

Must-win game for the Mets tonight. With Tom Glavine taking the mound, they can't afford a loss when they're looking at the less-than-stellar John Maine in game 6, and probably someone even worse in game 7. If the Mets win tonight, it will be interesting to see whether Willie Randolph goes all out in game 6, or whether he holds part of the bullpen back for a possible game 7.

Honestly, I don't even know what the right call is there. I suppose the situation will dictate things, as it always does. The Cardinals have possibly the NL's best starting pitcher going in game 6, but might have an even greater advantage in a possible game 7, since Jeff Suppan has had a very good second half, and has some big-game experience on his side as well.

Of course, if the Mets lose tonight, none of it matters. They'll have to go all-hands-on-deck for game 6, and hope for the best in game 7.

I suppose if it was me, I'd make every effort to save Aaron Heilman for game 7 and start him. If Glavine gives the team 7 innings tonight, that can be accomplished easily enough. He's been agitating all year to start and is probably a better bet than Darren Oliver, though Oliver has been effective as a long reliever, including his 6 scoreless innings in game 3. Failing that, I'd send Oliver to the hill.

---

I've been meaning to write about The U, but that will have to wait for another time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Ugh, I'm sorry I read that O'Rourke piece. It was childish, petty and stupid. A junior high student could've rehashed all the idiotic stereotypes from both sides and mentioned beer.

God-awful.

But keep repeating how there will somehow be more terror attacks if the Dems are in charge. Man, if only Republicans were in charge during the worst terror attack on U.S. soil...

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home